Author Topic: Dancing away December's blues  (Read 5904 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Dancing away December's blues
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
Forecast for tonight is clear with temps of 4C /34F - makes me think we might, just might, with any luck at all, have a repeat of the winter of 2009/2010 when we had our warmest winter on record, and just two or three days of snow for the entire season. I didn't even put my snow tires on. No snow on the ground yet, and it's December 4 - normally we have our skidoos out by mid-November.

ETA: saw on CBC that southern Ontario is setting records for high temps in December today.

ETA: Environment Canada's Seasonal Forecast for December-January-February suggests a warmer winter than normal for all the way from Newfoundland right to southern Ontario.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:58:11 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Dancing away December's blues
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »
Yeah it was ridic warm today, even in the rain. I'm getting mixed messages re: what this winter will shape up to be or not to be.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
That is interesting, as not long ago they were forecasting a somewhat cold and snowy winter. There is no significant snow in the forecast yet; for the rest of this week it won't be as warm as today (paradise) but I should be able to run the errands I have to do by bicycle.

Toe, we have your rain now, but it is still extremely mild.

" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
Well, I've been looking at the EC forecasts since October, and every one of them pointed to warmer temps for the next three months. (EC three month forecasts are updated every month...)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:10:58 AM »
We had a big snowstorm in our forecast last night - it didn't happen!  :applause

Could still arrive today, though. I don't have my snow tires on yet. :o

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
Well, we're supposed to get snow tonight, damn it. I ran several errands on bicycle yesterday and a couple today; I'm only going out tomorrow if I have to meet one of my clients, but I think she is in a meeting all day tomorrow and we'll meet on Tuesday, which should be dry and the crap ploughed off the streets and sidewalks.

It will melt again later in the week, but that can mean icy conditions. The freeze-melt cycle is also hell for potholes (nids-de-poule in French).

I made a lentil dip with walnuts, and am taking some of that to the house of the friend for whom I'm housesitting while she takes the sun down in Cuba. I imagine that can be frozen?

Friend is returning on Thursday. She has been away for several weeks.

Cripes I hate winter...

Edited to add:

Look at this wildly inappropriate ad:

Pollen forcast[/color][/size]
Be Ready for the Pollen Season. Take ******* to fight your symptoms
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:07:45 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
We had a funeral for one of our beloved senior friends today, and cripes it was cold and windy. Thankfully, the snow and rain did not materialize. But the wind kept me and my neighbour from going to the cemetery for the commital, so we just got in my truck after the church service and went home. We both have crippling arthritis. Going down to -12C but the 80 kph wind will make it feel much colder. I'll probably keep the wood furnace going all night.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:55:19 AM »
Boom Boom, I am sorry about the loss of your friend.

Yes, with the high winds on the North Shore, the weather is really raw. (Don't want to discourage people from visiting; it is very beautiful and I'd love to get as far down on the coast as Boom Boom's area).

Finally, we only got a few cm of snow, but it has now turned into rain (it is a few degrees above freezing) and we are going to get some nasty slush that will turn to ice if it isn't cleared away today.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
I actually lost two friends over the weekend - both seniors - one died in New York Friday, she was the founder of the musical group The Miserable Offenders, which sang gospel music. I got to watch her perform solo in Toronto when we got together in 1998 for a list gathering (The Anglican List - an Anglican email group) at "Blues on Belair" in Yorkville. I've got two of their albums (available online). The other was a lifelong resident of Kegaska, I think he was 86, and active right up to the time he died. He would stop his ATV on the road and chat with me every day.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:51:29 AM by Boom Boom »

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
Boom Boom, I'm sorry for your loss of two friends.  That article about your friend the musician was very interesting but I would never consider 58 years to be a "senior". That sounds very young to me.

Lots of snow around here - snowfalls every 3-4 days over the past 2-3 weeks. Now we are into deep freeze weather (-35 with the wind chill).
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »

Oh I'm so sorry, Boom Boom.

Far too young to die by modern Western standards, and certainly not a senior. I wouldn't call 58 "very young" though - I'm of about that cohort (I never state my exact age on the Web as it can be searched, I'm a freelancer and unfortunately there is a lot of age discrimination out there).

I won't let anyone call be a senior until I'm entitled to that Old Age Benefit cheque.
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
My condolences Boom Boom. 58 is far too young.

Weather wise today we have had snow, freezing rain and rain. It is supposed to rise to 10 C tomorrow.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »
Oops - my bad. Here on the coast 55 is considered senior - I'm not exactly sure why, may have something to do with folks here dying young in the past. But people here are living longer - I know at least two men who still go out in the fishing boats past age 60; one of them is actually 70 I think!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
Seniors'/retiree associations and groups also sign people up at age 55 and in some cases at age 50, saying it is because of early retirement or spouses a bit younger than the actual senior member of a couple - but of course it also boosts their membership and dues.

And of course a lot of programmes and schemes consider people "youths" until they are 35 or so!
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »
All I know is I only pay 8.99 for a movie ticket now . What sux is I've never been asked to prove I'm 60, but gf says that's coz young people simply assume anyone over 40 is at least 60, lol. So last month at the ticket lineup I say to gf, take off your beret, she says WOT? I repeat, take off your beret and shake out that white hair. She does so and I say 2 seniors please, so now she's happy as hell too. Altho I wish she was a bit more adventurous, because I'd prefer to check the length of the movies, search the starting time for one where the ending time is close to the starting time of the second one; then I'd only have to pay the ridic entrance fee to see a double feature, but she won't do it, argh! When I explained this to mother she thought 'well of course'. Hee. She also said (and remember she has dementia) movies were the greatest uplifters in her youth during ww2.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT