Author Topic: IDLE NO MORE!  (Read 9832 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
IDLE NO MORE!
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:08 PM »
Well this fracking well explains everything!

Harper forces the press to pledge allegiance

The Conservative government and the new CBC/Radio-Canada code of ethics violate the principles of independence and impartiality that are so closely associated with the profession of journalism, and are a serious threat to the preservation of Canadian democracy, where freedom of the press is a fundamental value enshrined in our Constitution.

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: IDLE NO MORE!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
I was watching the gathering of INM (on CBC) at the Ambassador Bridge around noon - looked like a good crowd.

ETA: just saw on Facebook that Brigette DePape (and 7 others)  was arrested at a demo yesterday - Vancouver, I think.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:43:31 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »
A long (25 min.) report by Al Jazeera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgtrS67M4M
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »
Sanganash is Back!

And it is in his riding the boys I'm in love with are walking from. The Quest of Wisjinichu-Nishiyuu, Quest For Unity
https://www.facebook.com/groups/351350614972320/

The boys left today.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:38:16 PM by Toedancer »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
Q&A: Romeo Saganash at Macleans  (this is part two)

brief excerpt:

Obviously you’ve been preoccupied with other things, but have you had a chance to watch Idle No More? Have you talked to people? What’s your sense of what’s happened these last few weeks?

Well, anyone who thought that this would never happen must have been somewhere else, in a sense, because this was bound to happen. I know a lot of people tend to say that Idle No More is just an aboriginal thing, which is really not the case because a lot of things that we talk about should be of direct concern to all Canadians. Whether it’s the environment, navigable waters, you name it. The dismantling, and it’s not just me as an NDPer that is speaking, but the dismantling of the environment, the dismantling of the economy and natural resources in this country, the dismantling of human rights in this country, the government of the day is presently dismantling the very foundation of what Canada is. And obviously I have a problem with that.

So that is what I’m seeing. I haven’t been completely isolated, I’ve been following this and the people that talk to me, whether in my riding or Montreal or elsewhere here, all point to the same things. The hunting association in Val D’Or has the same preoccupations as the aboriginal peoples that are protesting in the streets. And in many regions, a lot of non-aboriginal people have joined those marches. We need to continue to fight something that is wrong here. And it’s not just about aboriginal rights or treaty rights, it’s about a lot of other things as well.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »
Boring old-before-his-time-solomon on P&P poll:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/inside-politics-blog/2013/01/power-politics-ballot-box-question-176.html

60% approve of today's actions  :applause

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:14:45 PM by Toedancer »

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
I was watching the gathering of INM (on CBC) at the Ambassador Bridge around noon - looked like a good crowd.

ETA: just saw on Facebook that Brigette DePape (and 7 others)  was arrested at a demo yesterday - Vancouver, I think.
Five people, I think, crashed the Enbridge Northern Gateway Joint Review Panel which is not open to the public.

Emma Gilchrist is tweeting the JRP hearings for Dogwood Initiative I think. Hundreds of presenters, not one in favour of the pipeline yet.

https://twitter.com/reporteremma/status/291268733740146688
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:14:55 PM »
That was an excellent article, thanks Holly Stick. Idle No More has the ability to push this country so far ahead, yet the racists seem to rule. I'm just plain disgusted, exchange the word native with jew and the entire con cabinet would pop their bloodless veins, it's fucking criminal, well they are criminals and our justice system sucks. Why aren't the lawyers and the judges marching with placards?

This letter basically embodies everything that is right with INM
http://pomegranatewomenwriting.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/why-i-support-idle-no-more-by-linda-goyette/

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
Pam Palmater was just on CTV - said all the INM action has been legal and peaceful and everyone has co-operated with police. Said INM has to continue until Canada lifts its bloackade of First Nations people, and that the status quo is unsustainable for First Nations, and indeed for all Canadians. She would have been a hell of a leader if she beat Atleo.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »
BC Hydro CEO calls out Enbridge at joint review panel

Some of the most damning evidence of the Enbridge Northern Gateway Joint Review Panel (JRP) hearings this morning was presented by a former BC Hydro CEO and deputy minister of energy for both Manitoba and Ontario.
“It is my contention that Enbridge has submitted marketing propaganda masquerading as economic analysis because of the one-sided, self-serving private benefit picture the proponent has presented. Therefore the public benefit test is not being met and therefore the project is not in the public interest,” Marc Eliesen, a career executive in the Canadian energy and utility sector, told the panel.
Along with the presidency of BC Hydro, Eliesen sat on the board of Suncor Energy and was former CEO of Manitoba Energy Authority and Ontario Hydro. In total, he has worked for seven governments and nine ministers of the crown.
His assessment of the Enbridge plan was blunt, noting that "bogus economics with misinformation" was being used by the proponent, by the oil industry and by governments of Canada and Alberta to justify the Northern Gateway pipeline project.
He said in the case of the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline, the proponent submitted a 30-year scenario, which assumed one constant fixed exchange rate for over 30 years.
"I have sat as director on a number of company boards, including Suncor Energy, and I can easily state that if management had forwarded only one scenario for any project, without sensitivity analysis, they would be quickly dismissed."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:08:26 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
Ministry of Justice anti-aboriginal policies exposed

In Canada all federal prosecutions emanate from the federal Ministry of Justice. Its Minister since 2007 is the Hon. Mr. Rob Nicholson, the Attorney General of Canada. The Minister and Ministry of Justice are in a systemic conflict of interest when it comes to prosecutions of those Aboriginal peoples who engage in activities that might be exercises of existing Aboriginal and treaty rights. According to section 35 of Canada’s Constitution Act, 1982, “the existing Aboriginal and treaty rights of the Aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and affirmed.”

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
This letter basically embodies everything that is right with INM
http://pomegranatewomenwriting.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/why-i-support-idle-no-more-by-linda-goyette/
That is a great post, Toe, she's a good writer (used to be a newspaper columnist, now writing books I think). I will tweet it.

Here is an excellent article by Stephen Hume who is realistic about how grassroot movements start and work, and he is correct I think about the value of RCAP.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Idle+More+protests+yell+attention/7837989/story.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:32:24 PM by Holly Stick »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »
Augustine said the decision to request a joint Harper-Johnston meeting was made Thursday night during an executive meeting of 10 regional chiefs by conference call. Augustine is in charge of facilitating the meetings as AFN National Chief Shawn Atleo recovers from norovirus following an exhausting and stressful two weeks. -snip-
A PMO spokesman said the office has “yet to receive a request” for such a meeting from the AFN.
http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/01/18/afn-wants-g-g-at-next-meeting-with-chiefs/
There is a life at stake Mr. PMO/GG! If this doesn't happen then we have total authority over reach as we have seen all the week long, with the toadies over sense of authority, del mastro/flaherty/fantino etc. etc. etc.

eta - For Jan. 24th https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23cdnpoli
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:37:35 PM by Toedancer »

Return To TAT