Author Topic: IDLE NO MORE!  (Read 10049 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: IDLE NO MORE!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
Who called for the meeting next week between Harper, the GG, and the chiefs? I thought Atleo is on sick leave.

ETA: Stephen Harper accused of fostering racism, hatred of natives with silence over Idle No More

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper is fostering hatred of aboriginals across the country by failing to condemn racist reactions to the Idle No More movement, says a women’s group.

The accusation came Friday as Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs announced that the Assembly of First Nations had approved a resolution renewing calls for a meeting with Harper and Gov. Gen. David Johnston on Jan. 24.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:36:28 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Who called for the meeting next week between Harper, the GG, and the chiefs? I thought Atleo is on sick leave.

See my Jan. 18th post. Augustine filled for Atleo.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »

See my Jan. 18th post. Augustine filled for Atleo.

My bad. I've had a cold and am on meds - didn't comprehend it when I saw it.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:37 AM »
A YouTube (slideshow) on the youths' long journey. Gawd, it looks cold up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17t9172YIYI
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »
Thanks for the link Lagatta, I love how David Kawapit (sr) is being called the White Wizard by FNs, because of his gorgeous overcoat.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
Wow, here's why the Cons are smearing INM, so much MONEY  :o

About that FN Trust

AND because they are challenging FIPA which is Going Forward :applause 

Related - Sun Tv going after a cable license from CRTC coz they have lost $17MILLION

Petition - No to SUNTV http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canadian-radio-television-and-telecommunications-commission-do-not-approve-mandatory-carriage-for-sunnews-network-2?utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign

Harpo leaves no doubt, No GG @ meeting. (don't read the comments, they are exceedingly racist and depressing) http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/21/harper-leaves-no-doubt-governor-general-will-not-be-included-in-any-future-first-nations-policy-discussions/

Pam P. says do not let Atleo have a pen in his hand.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:09:16 AM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
Oh wow when I posted the link yest. on Harper saying no meeting and no GG (let me be perfectly clear... ::) ) I didn't realize the Chiefs had 'requested' a mtg. with PM and GG to end Spence's liquid fast, over the wknd.

Request

Manitoba Chiefs meet to consider opt out of AFN

#HarperNoMore
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:58:12 AM by Toedancer »

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »
This is an interesting development. Chief Spence apparently will end her hunger strike by Thursday at the urging of her band council which is threatening to remove her as chief:

http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2013/01/23/attawapiskat-chief-spence-set-to-end-fast-by-thursday/

I don't know if they are politicking or just want to keep her alive.

ETA: Harper speaking now about aboriginal peoples. I wonder if there is any connection?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:39:45 AM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
More about Spence:

An event is being planned for Thursday to honour Attiwapiskat Chief Theresa Spence at the Delta Hotel in Ottawa, even as talks to resolve her six-week hunger protest have intensified over the past 48 hours...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/01/23/attawapiskat-spence-hunger-strike.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:35:41 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »
There was a great interview this morning with Mélissa Mullen-Dupuis, Ellen Gabriel and Michèle Audette on CBC Daybreak this morning, about the end of Chief Spence's fast and where Idle is going now.  I'll see if they put it on the net.

Here is a bit of background: An interview with Innu musician/singer Florent Vollant about the residential schools:

http://www.ledevoir.com/societe/actualites-en-societe/369118/survivre-aux-pensionnats-autochtones

Even then, music was important to his survival.

And a short clip about how Vollant, the name of not just a Frenchman but a Parisian of all things (!) became a primarily Innu name. And of course the indignity of forced deculturation at the pensionnats, with telling images. Ironic, as Vollant's son was one of the many French newcomers who were attracted to the Indigenous people ...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »
More about Spence:

An event is being planned for Thursday to honour Attiwapiskat Chief Theresa Spence at the Delta Hotel in Ottawa, even as talks to resolve her six-week hunger protest have intensified over the past 48 hours...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/01/23/attawapiskat-spence-hunger-strike.html

That's a good link. I think Spence has been extraordinary. I like this bit:

Instead, they are telling Spence how they count her victories: greater national awareness of First Nations issues; a meeting between the AFN, Harper and several cabinet ministers; and a commitment to modernize treaties and aboriginal rights, with negotiations between chiefs and the top levels of government.

They also say Spence's resolve helped galvanize thousands of protesters across the country under the Idle No More banner.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
Spence went into a hospital overnight to get nutrients and hydration by IV apparently, also tests; CBC says she's not suffering from any acute condition:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/01/24/pol-spence-ceremony-thursday.html

So the ceremonies now depend on when she gets out of hospital:

https://twitter.com/APTNNews/status/294459210979237888

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »
That's odd, because CBC Newsworld is reporting that Chief Spence is expected on Victoria Island at 10 am and the 11 am ceremony is expected to go ahead.

ETA: CBC corrected itself - says Spence is still in hospital and will NOT be at the press conference today.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:47:19 AM by Boom Boom »

Return To TAT