Author Topic: Ontario Liberal Leadership  (Read 2698 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Ontario Liberal Leadership
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
From a friend: "Sandra Pupatello doesn't give me the warm fuzzies at all."  :))

Kathleen Wynne is pretty good, but methinks she is in the wrong party - should be in the ONDP.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Ontario Liberal Leadership
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
I've been corrected - Wynne isn't the progressive that I thought she was. Better than Pupatello, certainly. Best for the ONDP if Pupatello wins, is my guess. It's a crappy convention - I'm watching it on CBC - and they can't get it right. At the second ballot, Pupatello is ahead of Wynne by 67 votes, and it looks like Gerald Kenndey is withdrawing.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
Sousa and Kennedy have both endorsed Wynne, so it's over I think.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
Wynne wins!

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »
I remember her drumming up support for the Metro Parent Network back in the day during the awful Harris years when there were constant issues with the unions/teacher strikes/huge healthcare cuts. Her kids went to the same school(s) as my kid and believe me there were some real jerks who couldn't handle the living arrangements between her/her x/her partner/the kids, but then they bought another house on same lot I think. She was also Prez of Lawrence Park Collegiate Parents Council, where the meetings were great fun.  I supported her in ev. she was into including trustee. I honestly didn't think she'd end up a Liberal, except well, she herself knew she was privileged and I guess when you run in those circles.........
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:51:18 AM »
Austerity for Ontario, I just don't geddit, why do they do it when they know it doesn't work  :confused  Remember Mike Harris's budgets were all propaganda Common Sense Revolution but were ideological fixations from the Fraser Institute, blech, now it's just called austerity. Simple is as simple does.

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/behind-numbers/2013/05/ontario-budget-2013-four-more-years-austerity?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rabble-news+%28rabble.ca+-+News+for+the+rest+of+us%29#.UYOul2GdUMY.twitter
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »
I watched Ontario's Liberal finance minister, the NDP's Andrea Horwath, and the PC's  Tim Hudak talk about the new budget on P&P last night, and I find it hard to see a budget with a massive deficit as an 'austerity' budget. What am I missing here?

(I haven't read the budget document)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:25 AM »
The rabble article gives numbers and charts, but there are other opinions of course. Walkom at the Star which suggests reading the fine print.
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2013/05/02/ontario_budget_great_politics_but_does_it_make_sense_walkom.html

Also from the Star (same old story) - THE TAKE-AWAYS FROM LABOURaren’t matched by give-backs from the corporate sector. Corporate taxes will remain lower than anywhere in the U.S., while government subsidies to private firms remain virtually untouched. Economist Don Drummond advised the government last year that low corporate taxes obviated the need for outdated corporate subsidies. The premier’s Jobs and Prosperity Council also called for streamlining those subsidies.
Refundable tax credits (cold cash) for corporations have more than tripled over the past decade, from $270 million to $940 million. And what are the Liberals doing about this inordinate increase? Appointing yet another panel — the third in a year — that will report back in six months.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2013/05/03/an_ndp_budget_andrea_horwath_can_be_proud_of_cohn.html

P & P? All softball, never anything nitty gritty, too afraid.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:10:56 AM by Toedancer »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
Thanks for all that, Toe. Horwath did not indicate if she will support the budget, or not, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. Host of P&P Evan Solomon said the PC's are leading in a poll, and that may influence the NDP's decision whether to force an election over the budget as well. Imagine Ontario lead by Hudak!  :o

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »
Thanks for all that, Toe. Horwath did not indicate if she will support the budget, or not, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. Host of P&P Evan Solomon said the PC's are leading in a poll, and that may influence the NDP's decision whether to force an election over the budget as well. Imagine Ontario lead by Hudak!  :o

Horwath would become scum in my books if she brought in an opportunity for Hudak to get his toe in even with a minority (and I fucking still hold a grudge against all those who believed a Harper minority wouldn't be so bad if it meant teaching the LPC a lesson). Hudak is more transparently right wing than Harper - that transparency due to his being a total idiot. However, it seems that our public education system has been so badly eroded in the last few decades that we are producing gullible voters who actually think Ford, Hudak and Harper are on the mark. :mad2
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
Horwath would become scum in my books if she brought in an opportunity for Hudak to get his toe in even with a minority
Well she's not scum but ferrsure she's close to it for me. If you could only see the NDP from federal to provincial in Ontario in their desperation, well, I can't post their dismal 'truths', but I can say Jack would be mortified at some of them.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »
I think the ONDP are doomed as a party if they back the Liberals. The province is doomed if the ONDP force an election and Hudak wins.

That's called 'between a rock and hard place'.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »
Jeez after reading this article Horwath may very well vote down the L budget with the Cons.
http://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-ndp-won-t-say-if-they-ll-vote-for-the-budget-1.1269052

That'll send Hoodat right up the middle. Cons still leading in the polls.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:46:29 AM by Toedancer »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
Re the gas plant cancellations and moves: on P&P tonight there was testimony (I forget from whom) that the Ontario NDP and PCs would have done exactly the same thing - but no one knew it would cost $600 million.

Best comment so far from Evan Solomon: Is McGuilty trying to throw himself under the bus so that Kathleen Wynne doesn't wear this in the next election?  :popcorn
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:12:46 PM by Boom Boom »

Return To TAT