Author Topic: Earth Day Actions  (Read 1635 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Earth Day Actions
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »
Earth Day March (Marche pour la terre) kicking off at 2pm here, at Place des Festivals (near Place-des-Arts métro). Leaving soon. While I don't anticipate the huge crowd there was last year, there might be quite a few people, so I want to get there a bit early with my bicycle.

Last year was huge, with people from all over Québec. Boom Boom, too bad the road stops short of your village; there were people from Natashquan and the nearby Innu Reserves, and we hope there will be more this year as the action is in partnership with Idle no More - have to remember to wear my red feather!

Anything going on where you live?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Earth Day Actions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »

Anything going on where you live?

Nothing here, sadly.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
I joined the peeps who live along the waterfront and cleaned up. What some of us really wanted to do was to be supplied boats and long devices of some sort to get the stuff from the inlets (like a shopping cart).  Lottsa dog walkers who were especially good today about cleaning up after their dogs. Chilly wind but gorgeous sunshine!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »
This is sort of related to Earth Day. Check out this PSAC shocker of an ad re: our environment.

http://globalnews.ca/news/498701/psac-ads-attacking-conservatives-serve-as-wake-up-call/
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Boom Boom, it was nothing like the 300,000 last year, but still, the Gazette said perhaps 30,000 and Radio-Canada "tens of thousands" (strangely, CBC said "hundreds"). It was much more local than last year. There were a lot of people from outside MTL but they came from Sherbrooke, the places along the river where there is shale-gas explorations and other localities not an overnight drive - or plane trip - away. I didn't see anyone from the North Shore, Abitibi, the Magdalene Islands or Nunavik.

Toedancer, yes, I saw that ad.

Lots of cleanups here too, though the cleanup of the nearby large park (Parc Jarry) is a bit later, and I think the cleanup of Mont-Royal is too.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT