Author Topic: Worst restaurant dish in US is ... FISH! (Big Catch from Long John Silver chain)  (Read 2373 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Hey, I thought fish, despite mercury and depletion fears, remained among the better protein choices. But the Big Catch is quite a take on the riches of the deep:

Quote:

WASHINGTON — A batter-laden fried fish dish packs two weeks worth of harmful trans fat in a single serving and was named worst restaurant meal in America Tuesday by a US consumer advocacy group.
The Big Catch meal, sold at the fast food chain Long John Silver’s, contains 33 grams of trans fat and 3,700 milligrams of sodium, said the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/02/long-john-silver-packs-3700-milligrams-of-sodium-into-americas-worst-restaurant-meal/
There is very little actual fish "entombed" in the greasy trans-fat laden breading...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:46:12 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
I wonder if the only the most expensive restaurants detail the food is Monsanto Free and sustainable? Certainly every chain rest. is not.

And I've decided to have sea scallops w/garlic and a bit of sodium reduced teriyaki, avo and basmati. Yum. That was my Canada Day treat but I was too sore to prepare last night.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
There are some small family-run restaurants that are fairly good about real food, such as a tiny Vietnamese BYOW near me, and others, a bit pricier but not out of reach for most of us for a treat, that are very scrupulous about sourcing. But we most often eat at home, and at each other's houses. Your scallops sound great. I buy sodium-reduced teriyaki and tamari as well, and the teriyaki I buy only has 3g of sugar - most are much more sugary.

What is avo?

" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT