Author Topic: July -2013  (Read 1323 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
July -2013
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »
geez this started late  :o

So yesterday july 19 marks year 27 of married life.

also huge storm. There was either a mini tornado or a downburst and there is so much damage. We ran into the building hall at one point it seemed like all the windows were going to blow in. Windows were slightly opened and by them water was a couple of inches deep in the house.

we were doing fine for power until around 4 this morning 6:30 now still no power. Have been emergency vehicles around diverting traffic all night.

There was a fire from a lighting strike about 1/2 a block away.

Posted some pics here but the camera phone is crappy and you really don't get a sense of how bad it is.

“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: July -2013
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:45:11 PM »
Happy Anniversary Debra!  :applause

Yeah some parts were bad
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »
W00t!!! finally got power back. Had no power since friday. Most of fridge contents no good but power woo hoo.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
W00t!!! finally got power back. Had no power since friday. Most of fridge contents no good but power woo hoo.

Our power was off for four days, but I have a small generator which kept the fridge and freezer going all day. I shut the generator off from midnight to 7am to give it a break - and save gas - because those two appliances can keep items cool for anywhere from 8 to 10 hours. The only stuff I had to throw out when the power came back on were leftovers from a day before the power outage - everything else looks okay.

ETA: spoke too soon - had to throw out a couple slices of bacon that had gone rank and stunk.  I think they've been sitting in the fridge for a couple of months!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:37:06 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
Boom Boom, that attests to the role of fridge corners in the creation of new forms of life. I think they are very badly designed. If they had drawers (as upright freezers do in Europe) they would be far easier to keep clean.

Odd, as bacon was designed to preserve pork over the winter; it should keep for a good long while, with all the salt and nitrates.

I feel really sad about people who lose groceries. For some, it means no decent food for a while, as any has been carefully bought scouting out sales...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT