Author Topic: Summer: the gloaming  (Read 3283 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Summer: the gloaming
« on: May 29, 2006, 07:01:32 AM »
Much of the residential parts of mid-town Toronto is rows and rows of red brick semi-detached houses, two and three storeys. They're mostly pretty plain, especially from the back, which is what most of us see a lot of in the summertime -- long rows of red brick walls.

There is a moment in the evenings, though, no more than ten minutes, when those walls suddenly begin to glow, as if they were lit from the inside. If you just sit and watch the walls, you can see that glow becoming more and more intense.

I suppose something similar may happen in the winter months, but I never notice it then. For some reason, the light at dusk in the summer is different, and the very bricks seem to like it.   :wink:

For the first time this year I noticed the gloaming last evening (I'm slow, though -- others have probably noticed before). It started just before 9 p.m. and ended just after. I think the sign that it's going to happen is that any wispy clouds about will slowly be tinted pink -- that's the time to watch the bricks.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:16:08 AM »
Ha, I've noticed this in the fall -- October, usually, when the sun is low. But, then I'm a fall person, my fave season.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 04:37:12 PM »
I'd originally meant this as a seasonal thread, the weather thread, I guess -- and boy, do we have weather here today. I haven't heard lately, but it was supposed to hit 33, humidex 38, and when I stick my nose out, it certainly feels like that.

How are people faring? Especially the people who had to travel during the TTC strike?

Alix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 08:32:45 AM »
Surprisingly, our apartment has been really very cool, despite the fact that when it gets hot, we're normally roasting. (We broke down and got an air conditioner last summer so I could breathe, but we won't put it on for a while yet.)

But last night, I had to do a Haunted Walk tour, which was fun, but dressed all in black with a black cape, so I was a little toasty. But it was after the sun was mostly down, so it was bearable. But this may be a sweaty summer as a tour guide.
"If permanence were possible, why would the seasons change?"
- Naguib Mahfouz

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:34:47 AM »
So moved!  :D
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Return To TAT