Author Topic: How is everyone doing?  (Read 7424 times)

Sharon

• View Profile
How is everyone doing?
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
I just thought I'd ask. It's been quiet and I'm hoping everyone is okay and surviving winter.

We're all fine where I am. It's a more wintry winter than we're used to in Halifax -- more snowstorms but as my husband, Dan, notes, it's easier to shovel this year. Most years, we get used to a heavy snowfall that turns to ice pellets, then to rain, which makes for very heavy snow. This year, the temperatures have remained cold during the storms so the snow stays quite light and fluffy. We've had rain in-between the snowstorms though so we manage to keep the snowbanks pretty small.

I suspect part of the reason for the quiet month is the absence of Boom Boom. He was always good to start a conversation or keep one going. I miss hearing about his daily life -- the work he's doing on the house -- and also about the movies and music he loved writing about. He enjoyed -- as I do -- old movies on the Turner Classic Movie channel. He'd love it right now as they're playing Oscar-winning movies leading up to Academy Awards night. Lots of good movies.

He's still very much missed.

I hope everyone is well.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Re: How is everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
Thanks for asking. I'm sick to the teeth of winter. Trying to battle depression. We live in an apt now so no snow shovelling.

Boom Boom is certainly missed as Croghan still is.

I spend most of my time on twitter these days. Have done a couple of small blogs. It feels too much like no one is listening anyway so I'm pretty quiet. That could just be the depression I guess.

On Saturday we watched Monsters University and then I give it a Year. Both were really good.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »
I was wondering who would post first, thinking how much of the recent activity here had centered around Boom Boom. I thought it might be you, Sharon - I must have a touch of the ESP :-)
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
ESP could be handy. :-)

Debra, I'm so sorry to hear about the depression. It's always tempting to say, well, when the weather gets better and you can be out and about. . . But of course, I know it's a lot more complex than that.

I will add that I always read your blog entries -- I read most of the blogs that are posted here. I had intended to comment on your entry about Facebook and progressive people but it was a subject I wanted to mull over a bit and I'm afraid when mulling starts, the act of commenting gets put off and put off until it no longer seems current and relevant. I'll try to do better!

I mostly go to Twitter when I'm following something -- an awards show or a sporting event or even an election -- but I notice I avoid it on a day-to-day basis because there are so many haters out there. You can't escape them even on something as innocuous as the Golden Globes!

The other big change here at our house happened with the last provincial election. Dan was chief of staff to the premier and with the change in government, he suddenly had a lot more free time! He's actually enjoying the stress-free life although I suspect he will be looking to getting into something more productive as the days go by. I hear him telling people that I'm dying to get him out of the house. That's not strictly true although, as I tell him and others, he's too young to retire. Dan's only 62!

It will be interesting to see how the next chapter unfolds.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »
it was a subject I wanted to mull over a bit and I'm afraid when mulling starts, the act of commenting gets put off and put off until it no longer seems current and relevant.

Oh gawd, I'm always doing that. The worst is starting to research something about it and then ok, must get some sleep before going to work, falling asleep at pooter with 17 windows open and oh shit I have to be at work in 10 minutes!

Debra :  :grouphug

Not fair, is it, honeybun, aka Fearless Leader. Ok, body chemistry, yes, but is it a winter-related thing for you, something you can see an end to?

Ambivalent about twitter which I still haven't joined. Great for up to the second news bulletins but - just like our news media for the most part - almost entirely lacking in providing any context, something that we used to look to blogs for. I fear it as a just another tool of tmi disengagement.
edited to remove chunk of blank space
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:24:19 PM by Alison »

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
I saw this thread yesterday but stopped to mull it over before replying  :))

I moved last November, not by choice; my nice elderly landlords sold their small apartment building to a sharklike young couple who booted me out so they could renovate and raise the rent sky high.

The new place has good and bad points and it's taking a while to get adjusted to the differences, but I was lucky to find it in Calgary's crappy rental market.

I need to find a job and also feel rather depressed. I spend a lot of time on twitter, there is so much interesting stuff on there (following historians, librarians, reporters, etc)

Right now Canada's women curlers are in the process of winning the gold, so things are looking up! :applause

Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »
As for me, glad to here from several B+R members. I do look at the site daily, but it was so quiet, and every time I visit, I'm sad about Boom Boom and yes, about Croghan. I was set to visit Boom Boom in Québec City, as I have three households of friends who live in Limoilou, walking distance from the hospital where he was receiving treatment. Unfortunately, almost immediately he was in quarantine.  :crying
This winter has been extremely hard on me, and I'm also terrified of the heating bills, although I keep my heat low and wear about four layers of clothing indoors. With such low temperatures, it was not always possible for me to do a long walk outdoors. Yesterday, I did a long walk down into the Plateau and Mile-End (over 6km - I know, that isn't really a long walk - I did much more traipsing around after the Red Square kids, and much faster -

By this morning, the snow and ice had melted off the roads and the curbs - the latter is important if one is arthritic - I'm capable of starting off jumping onto my bike but it is hard on my joints, so it is really a relief if I can, at least sometimes, start off with one foot on the curb. So I ran quite a few errands, and have turkey wings (cheap, from a nearby Southeast Asian shop) simmering in the crockpot to make stock, but also a bit of plain poultry meat for Renzo and myself and have made a Lebanese dish of tiny (frozen) okra, minced lamb, red onions, garlic and chopped flatleaf parsley; more vegetable than meat.

I'd been dreaming about my bicycle, it is like a reprieve from this disgusting winter. She gives me wings... 
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »

Sharon - Sure there are meanies on Twitter but they are everywhere eh? I follow many awesome people and find it is great for being pointed towards great articles I haven't seen, news stories I was unaware of, writers, comedians It is a treasure trove really!

Alison - Yes  partly winter but I have suffered from depression since childhood. Tried to off myself a couple of times in my teens.  I rarely get that low now though. Twitter has also allowed me to start connecting with activists in Hamilton. Right now there is a great deal of activity around bike shares and LRT.

Holly Stick -  I follow you!! :) Glad to hear you landed safely. I know from experience that housing and job insecurity is just downright scary.

Lagatta - Glad to hear you and  Renzo are doing well. I saw the most beautiful biking pic the other day and thought how much  you would like it. Here's hoping for a quick transition into spring! 

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Especially cycling pics of "ordinary people", in normal clothes, and of all ages, from babes in tow to people of great age... Obviously, especially in the Netherlands and Denmark, and other northerly countries (NOT the places with the nicest sunny and warm weather), but more and more, in other places.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Lagatta said:
I'm capable of starting off jumping onto my bike

Wow. And in the snow. Impressed. Have never managed that without turning the whole enterprise into crumpled crane origami.

HollyStick said:
I saw this thread yesterday but stopped to mull it over before replying  [size=78%] [/size]

[/size]
 :))

Debra : I wonder, without actually looking up credible research on it  ::) , how much of depression is hormones. After an early menopause I found depression and anxiety just dropped away.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:02:05 PM by Alison »

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
Is it time to close up shop?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
My kneejerk response:

Why is it  costing anyone else time or money?

The board is really feeling the hit of Croghan & Boom Boom's passing and of skdadl leaving internet world. Funny enough those that were upset most by skdadl's lively postings took their balls and went home anyway.  :confused

My  reasoned response:

Boards these days cater more to niche communities and ours was always rich and varied. Many use Facebook in the way boards used to be used and others like me spend loads of time on Twitter.  Still others returned to Babble/Rabble where of course the money and political influence is - unlike my doing everything on my own.

I leave the board open so there is always the opportunity to connect with old friends (some of us eschew Facebook). Pogge still posts great links and others drop in also, finally as skdadl might say there is a great archive of information here.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »
I'm still here - I always read Alison's posts, and pogge's that aren't the Ontario News Digest (I might well read that if it specified a specific subject hook - I'm very interested in Olivia Chow's campaign).
Rosa Luxemburg

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
I'm very interested in Olivia Chow's campaign.
That's Toronto politics and I'm not sure I want to go there. It's gone beyond silly and into scary.  :hides

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »
So Pogge, proud proprietor of Ontario News Digest, is under a chair over Chow's campaign in Toronto?

What exactly put you there, Pogge? RoFo or WK?

Return To TAT