Author Topic: Come to our Farewell Party!  (Read 16604 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Come to our Farewell Party!
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »
Bread & Roses began with a few people who felt uncomfortable or that their voices couldn't be heard on other boards. We grew to be a vibrant if sometimes contentious community.

Over the years many changes occurred including the loss of some of our Bread & Roses family members.

Most of our members were and continue to be strong voices in politics and social/community organizations I still see many of those members on various social media.

As social media has grown many boards, including this one have seen posting become a thing of the past.  I have made the difficult decision to close this board. This will take effect on February 13, 2015.

If you would like to leave your Twitter or Facebook handle for others to contact you or copy off any post/s  you can do so during this time.

Thank you to all who have participated over the years.  :grouphug

http://youtu.be/y3KEhWTnWvE
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Come to our Farewell Party!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »
Friday the 13th, should be an auspicious day Debra. Will there be a cache?

I guess I knew this was coming & wondered when you would announce; it makes sense of course. You've been a wunnerful host and very understanding of our unspeakable grief. We got punched in the gut and it knocked the wind out of some of us, it did me, that's for sure. I have come to the board to re-live some of our funniest moments, when we were giddy and still ignorant enough we didn't know exactly where Canada was headed and fervently wished it was not like the U.S.  Now we're living it and it's not funny at all. My personal e-mail has not changed in 11 years and I can be PM'ed if anyone wants it. I don't use my real name on FB or the NDP sites, as I lost trust in being online post-'06.

I'm leaving Toronto end of February, and going further northeast where all my family resides. Daughter will stay in TO and my BF of 32 years will still be here; since I'm not changing docs or dentists I'll be coming down quite often. Hope to see you all on the 13th.  :popcorn
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:49:23 AM »
There won't be a cache per se but I will probably hold on to the database for awhile.

It was such a hard decision because so much info and posts of love & support and the voices of those we have lost will be lost as well. 

I am also removing the Front Page and  Birthpangs.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
 :crying Everything Toe said and then some. I will probably try to make time to save a few of my favourite conversations and many touching tributes to lost friends over the years - so many threads scattered throughout these boards that the I don't even know where to begin.

Thank you, Debra for starting and maintaining this community for so many years. So many lessons learned and friendships made - something that none of the other boards could ever rival.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
I want the board to live on. I've met so many new ndp young friends/supporters and I think they would love a place to hang. But very select invitations of course. I'm adding - I have met some very young/middle age NDP supporters obviously because of the upcoming election. (altho personally it is 2019 I'm looking forward to) who want a place, nay need, a place to discuss/debate/share. They feel quite unnatural to be on FB. If I could get say 5 to join and someone else could get 5 of their friends to join, is there any chance we could save Bread n Roses? If not, I totally understand, our history is so darn special. But perhaps we also need to discuss/debate of what's happening to us individually and to our country, it's the next 4 years when we make it or break it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:41:10 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
I would be open to keeping the board open if there was a community to sustain it.  :welcome

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
Well I guess I need to know what u mean Debra, by a community to sustain it. Does that mean regular postings, w/ new members? I have already given the link to only 2 who I think would benefit so much from our community. FB where it is the place to go for organizing is woefully unproductive. We are not just organizers, we are people going thru a very difficult & trying time in our country's history. I don't need to say Economy and can't afford the groceries, or seniors selling their gold rings to sustain the other, or privileged legislation that leaves so many out, do I? Or Security Gone 5-Eyes. The hardships & chicanery has us bested right now, but I see a different future for all. And we need a place to discuss. Do we need $cash to sustain BnR? If so, we need to know.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:18:53 PM »
Of course donations to the   :cat kitty are always appreciated.. In this case though I mean a sustaining community as in a participating community.

There is, as you know, a certain amount of background work that needs doing on a regular basis such as keeping the board updated, dealing with spam etc.  and it doesn't seem worth keeping doing just to keep the board as placeholder.

I just deleted all the signups in preparation for taking down the board. The ones I checked were all spam so I just figured they all were. So if I deleted anyone you sent over I apologize.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »
Well, it may not be realistic, I guess we shall see if anyone gathers on the 13th.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 12:39:05 AM »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »
I was a latecomer and, although I bailed for social media, do appreciate the community that formed here. The way we all came together when Croggie left us. How bereft we were without skdadl. Losing Tony, although I confess that was more Facebook than B&R. I had a few personal falling outs with some of the former regulars but I also made real life friends with others.

B&R had a great run. Thank you Debra.  :applause
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 07:24:04 AM »
I'm very sad to see this, though I did see it coming, as almost every time I dropped by (often) there was no new activity. Sadly, pretty much only when one of our old friends died.

I don't feel safe on Facebook, though probably there are ways of having an account under a pseudo. I am on LinkedIn as traduction lagatta, but it is basically to look for contracts. Things are very difficult these days.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
Hi Antonia and lagatta! I'm on LinkedIn but I don't find it very sociable. I much prefer Facebook for that (Beijing York).

I haven't had a chance to read some of the funnier and/or more memorable threads in these vaults. I hope to do so - some were pretty stellar.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »
Hi everyone:

I'm on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. I don't find LinkedIn particularly useful and it's not really social at all. I use Twitter mostly for events -- elections/by-elections, awards shows, sports events -- and I use Facebook to socialize with family and friends but also to exchange news in political groups, feminist groups, heritage and history groups.

As others would, I'd be happy to drop in here to chat and share news.

What time is the Friday the 13th party?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
Party will be any time,  all day long,  as people have a chance to drop in.   :drunk

Would there be any interest in a small less robust board that would still enable members to drop by and chat?

Here is are examples of what that might look like.

http://www.dalluva.com/member-area/forums/
http://www.mojo-themes.com/forums/

I may consider making this a read only board. I'll have to see if I can do that and how much maintenance it would require.

Return To TAT