Author Topic: Come to our Farewell Party!  (Read 8754 times)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Re: Come to our Farewell Party!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »
Hi Debra,

Thanks again for all you have done to create this community. I have been quite busy so I haven't had a chance to take a leisurely stroll through our forums.

I would love a small less robust place to catch up and chat in. A read only archive would also be nice.

I definitely would help chip in $$ to help keep something going.

P.S.: Hi Sharon, lagatta and Antonia
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »
That mojo theme looks just about right Debra, thanks for looking at something different, smaller etc.  :hug I would also enjoy that.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
Hello everyone! Yes, many thanks to Debra for all her hard work, and I really hope your health is better!  Hello, sparqui! and hello again to everyone else. It is bitterly, horribly cold here in Montréal right now.

It wasn't as cold yesterday, and a friend took me out for supper in Mile-End south of here. On the way, I dropped in at "PA Nature", the natural-foods grocery just opened by the venerable Greek supermarket, PA. Am enjoying a very good quality chicken leg with some German wine sauerkraut and green salad. A modicum of cheap white wine as well. Renzo, of course, got part of the chicken leg. I'd just roasted a few with no seasoning so he could share it. Yes, I'm spoiling him in his dotage, but he's always been a very polite cat, who doesn't bother me at the table.

Chatting with friends, especially progressive Jewish friends, about how to counter the band of thugs known as the Jewish Defence League, who are actually holding their local founding meeting at Ruby Foo's, of all places. (Antonia will get the rather quétaine cultural reference).

When I was a little girl, a very sophisticated aunt who was a nurse in the Canadian Armed Forces and who had travelled round the world - even to the Soviet Union, when most people simply couldn't do that - took me to either Ruby Foo's or Bill Wong's, don't remember which. One dressed up way back then for such an outing, and I'm sure I had a fancy dress (probably made by my mother) and my thick, curly hair up in plaits. The food, which would be considered "Western Chinese" nowadays, seemed the height of elegance in the postwar years.

We are also up against an extremely reactionary, hardcore austerity government here in Québec. They won a majority in part because many people wanted nothing to do (and rightly so) with the Parti Québécois' "Charter of Québec values". Québec solidaire won 1 more seat, the great feminist, lesbian and advocate for the downtrodden Manon Massé, but far from enough.

Along with the other people who had provided support to the Canadian boat to Gaza, writing press releases, translating, researching... I did the same this past summer in opposition to the assault against Gaza. The new security bill could make that into some kind of (peaceful, over-the-hill) "terrorism". All the while saying nothing about the JDL, who are a bunch of violent thugs who've made death threats against progressive Jewish friends of mine here and in France.

I'm huddling against the cold. I simply can't stand it anymore.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
We had some fine conversations. I saved some threads last night but there just wasn't time to read them all again.

Thanks so much, Debra, for providing this home, and thanks, friends, for the good company.

:-* :bunny
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:29:12 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:03 PM »
Give me a couple of days to get a smaller board sorted out. I'll post the info here when it's ready.

I will also see about setting the board fully as an archive.

I'll be adding it on to the current B&R blog but the Front Page doesn't really seem to fit the new purpose - any name suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:28:29 PM by Debra »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »
I didn't make it back on Friday but I wanted to say that I too have enjoyed many of the discussions here: politics, feminism, food, cultural events, the weather!

We're awaiting another storm in Nova Scotia. It's supposed to arrive overnight. Many things are already being cancelled -- we have two events tomorrow, afternoon and evening, and are still unsure about their ultimate fate.

I'd be happy to contribute to another board also and I'll be interested, Debra, to see what your choice is.

Also, I meant to ask after your health. I'm interested in everyone's health, of course, but you were going through a rough patch earlier.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 12:34:57 AM »
Thanks Sharon healthwise t hey have found another autoimmune disorder I have.  :annoyed

I have set up the new forum.   There will  probably be bugs and adjustments as we go.

To keep the forum spam out I will have to manually register everyone but t his process is explained here
http://www.breadnroses.ca/frontpage/forums/topic/welcome-to-the-new-forums/
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Return To TAT