Author Topic: The I hate Bell/Rogers/Cogeco etc thread  (Read 48089 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The I hate Bell/Rogers/Cogeco etc thread
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:14:04 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble with e-mail this a.m.?

If I try to send, I get some kind of error message telling me that I'm not connecting with the server -- this, in spite of the fact that I'm online and reading and posting fine.

If I try to collect mail, I get the opening message -- "delivering 1 of 7" -- but then it stops, and if I try again, I'm told that the folder is being processed and I should wait.

That has been going on for half an hour at least now.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:37:16 AM by skdadl »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
The I hate sympatico thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:27:29 AM »
Slow email is a constant problem here, given that we have a dialup ISP (Telus Globetrotter) that provides, at the best, 48 kbps.

This morning, a different problem: all the text on my web pages was reduced to the smallest size; I went to the top status bar, clicked on "View", and changed the text sizes on every page to "medium", and everything's okay again. Still have no idea why all the text sizes were reduced in the first place. :?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:23:19 AM »
I hate sympatico. Have I ever mentioned that before?

They just took several years off my life. If I go silent at any point today, it's their fault.  :evil:

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »
Actually, the truth is that most of my problems turn out to be rotten sympatico's. I'm usually suspecting that there's something wrong at their end if I can't connect, but it seems to take hours for them to get that info on to their help line, so if I call for help in the meantime, some sweet person will take me through my paces changing settings, all of which turns out not to matter when we finally hear that the bleeding system was down.   :evil:

I have problems with sympatico from time to time. When it first happened, I thought it was my computer or settings and the tech people would make me think it was, too. But then I got wise and realised that it's *always* sympatico, and it usually lasts for a few hours, during which time I can still use the Internet but can't send or receive e-mails. It's frustrating, but I have a non-sympatico address for emergencies, but don't use it much. I just wait it out.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:50:07 AM »
The trouble is, I connect to everything through them, and if they would just admit up front when I call that Toronto is down, which it sometimes is, I could be calm. How can they not know for hours that the whole of Toronto is down? I do not grasp that. But they never do.  :evil:

swallow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 12:49:05 PM »
Sympatico is the worst technical support I have ever experienced. I believe it's all outsourced too.

We recently switched over to Rogers, which is also an evil corporation but provides the same service cheaper and does not outsource its tech support.

When sympatico was crawling, I used to go to getmail.sympatico.ca and sent messages through the browser-based system that way. They went through OK, at least.
"You cursed brat. Look what you\'ve done. I\'m melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?"

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:56:07 PM »
Quote from: swallow
Sympatico is the worst technical support I have ever experienced. I believe it's all outsourced too. ...
And guess who manages the email accounts for sympatico .... hotmail!  Yup.  Now isn't that special?

Papal Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 11:23:18 PM »
I worked for Bell once doing monkey work. The systems in place are awful. It was heaven for people to have to deal with me, because I care about making sure that things work properly, but ye Gods of Olde! most do not.

skdadl/all other sympatico high speed users if you are capable of getting on the 'net or such you can PM me with problems and I can see if I can remember the information necessary to help you.
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

- Samuel Taylor Colerdige

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »
When I am in Canada, I use a DSL reseller that isn't sympatico.  Rogers has some annoying characteristics and some very problematic technology.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »
Sympatico... that's Bell, right? I purged Bell out of my life, and I say 'purged' because it really felt like such a therapeutic huge relief to cleanse my life of them. The worse customer service I have ever experienced is one reason I wanted to disown them. Also, I hated giving my money to a ruthless corporation that doesn't respect workers' rights (same reason why I won't shop at Wal-Mart) and repeatedly puts out sexist ads and ringtones. That realy boiled me up inside.

There are so many more options now. There are smaller and local companies through whom you can get both your phone and internet lines. Subscribing to VoIP and digital phone is the best way we can stop supporting assholes at Bell. And talk about high speed. The service is fantastic, and the phone lines are far clearer than Bell's phone lines.

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
Quote from: ephemeral
Sympatico... that's Bell, right? I purged Bell out of my life, and I say 'purged' because it really felt like such a therapeutic huge relief to cleanse my life of them. The worse customer service I have ever experienced is one reason I wanted to disown them. Also, I hated giving my money to a ruthless corporation that doesn't respect workers' rights (same reason why I won't shop at Wal-Mart) and repeatedly puts out sexist ads and ringtones. That realy boiled me up inside.

There are so many more options now. There are smaller and local companies through whom you can get both your phone and internet lines. Subscribing to VoIP and digital phone is the best way we can stop supporting assholes at Bell. And talk about high speed. The service is fantastic, and the phone lines are far clearer than Bell's phone lines.

except all of those small companies buy their high speed lines FROM Bell or Rogers. There are only 5 or so big backbone Internet/phone companies and all smaller companies buy from them (indeed a lot of them are OWNED by them)
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »
That is either the third or the fourth time in about a week that Toronto sympatico has been down.   :evil:

That used to happen maybe twice a year.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 09:53:18 AM »
I need a tech genius opinion.

Y'know I told you that my service has been weirdly spotty over the last week or so? Now, usually, I avoid calling the help line like the plague, given the useless exercises they take me through, only to discover midway through that the problem is at their end. (See also testimony of brebis noire.)

But since my own tech genius is out of reach for the time being, after the thing cut out on me twice this a.m., I broke down and phoned the help line.

This time, instead of leading me through a lot of resettings, the guy asked me questions about my modem model and filter, and then he talked to someone else, and they "refreshed" my lines.  ???  Can anyone explain to me what that means? It does seem to have made a difference. But what was wrong with my lines that could be fixed without someone coming here to tighten them up or something? Who believes this story?

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 10:01:18 PM »
Quote from: Bacchus
except all of those small companies buy their high speed lines FROM Bell or Rogers. There are only 5 or so big backbone Internet/phone companies and all smaller companies buy from them (indeed a lot of them are OWNED by them)

I don't know too much about this topic. Somebody else told me that, but they said that the little companies don't really have a choice. They can't install new lines (don't fully understande why), they have to use the lines that already exist, and Bell has full ownership of the lines that already exist. Bell is not about to give up ownership of phone lines when it put the work into laying them all out first.

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 10:52:28 PM »
They really dont have a choice. They could lay their own lines but the cost is so prohibitive that none but the wealthiest could afford it and not collapse from not recouping their expenses

Only a monopoly can do that
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Return To TAT