Author Topic: The I hate Bell/Rogers/Cogeco etc thread  (Read 46734 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
The I hate sympatico thread
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 05:23:23 PM »
If you want to see how the WWW works and grows .... here is an idea .... (if you can understand it)

'Splain it to me if you can .....   :shock:

Statistical mechanics is offering new insights into the structure and dynamics of the Internet, the World Wide Web and other complex interacting systems.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »
Argh.

It isn't fixed. I'm having a terrible time today. I don't think my computer is overheated, but my modem (2003 model) definitely is. Almost as soon as I'm online, that thing is HOT.

I gots trouble, right here in River City, don't I.  :(

Just in case it's my cat-hair-filled machine, is there something extremely low-tech, low-energy, low-nervous-energy that I can do to ease the problem? I've never cleaned a computer much. I have this sort of barrier about cleaning things. But, y'know, for the sake of getting back here every day, I could try.

In other news, the downside of cutting your own hair around the bathroom sink is that the bathroom sink ceases to be functional.

I'd post one of these   :panic   except I am feeling so defeated by all this that I don't have the energy to run around like that li'l being.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »
modems do tend to run hot, or at least mine does. Too hot is bad though.

Make sure it is on a firm surface and to clean really all you can do is put your vacuum crevice tool against any holes you see.

See if sympatico will send you a new one..yes I know it's like talking to the third circle of hell but it's worth a shot. Tell them how hot it's running.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 04:41:54 PM »
Quote from: skdadl

In other news, the downside of cutting your own hair around the bathroom sink is that the bathroom sink ceases to be functional.

I'd post one of these   :panic   except I am feeling so defeated by all this that I don't have the energy to run around like that li'l being.

Can't help with the puter my dear, but pour some bleach down the sink, then pour a glass of wine for you. It's almost 5 anyway.

Hey the little being is running around for you. Honestly skdadl what the h were you thinking cutting your hair over an Open Sink?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 04:43:49 PM »
Well, Toe: where do you cut your hair?   :?:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 04:48:21 PM »
In the bathroom, in front of the mirror, with the sink below it and a carefully laid piece of newspaper.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »
Do you find that the mirror is kind of counterintuitive? Like, you keep moving the scissors in the wrong direction if you're actually looking?

It's also harder on one side than the other. I think I did the right side better than the left, except it's longer, so  now ...

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 04:53:41 PM »
Well the few times I've been caught at it, both by sweetie and D, they thought I did a hack job, with one side shorter. I left it anyway and now you can't even tell.

But what I do is - grab the bits I want cut, hold it straight out, stop looking in the mirror now, then use my eyes and the scissors.  Then for variety I take it again, same piece, and cut in and out sort of, to give it a lighter look.  :D

Oh I should add after that I look back into the mirror to see how it looks. Usually stupid and uneven, so then I cut some more to try and make it balanced.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »
I'm having an awful time with my internet connection, so ...  Just had another conversation with the help people, who mostly think there's something wrong with what is coming from them, but this is turning into a high-level discussion.   This is the second person who thinks there are problems with the lines, so investigations continue. Argh. What else can I say.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
Other than (the legitimate) fear of the unknown. Is there a reason to stay with sympatico?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
Inertia?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »
I suspect that ritual suicide is my only remaining option.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »
have they had you try resetting the modem?

It works thusly.

Take the power plug out of the back of the modem, it's easy to find as it's the only one that doesn't look like a phone cord.

Keep it out for approximately one minute.

Then plug it back in and reboot your computer.

It might have no effect at all or it might help. I have to do it to mine on occasion.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 04:40:02 PM »
Hi, Debra. I have done that in the past. Maybe I'll try it again, although what seems to be going on these past weeks is that they are looking at something from their end.

Do you know where their end is? On Saturday morning I was speaking to a nice young woman from Quebec, I'm pretty sure -- not that she cured anything, but she seemed to be sending things upstairs. The cocky guy I had last Tuesday who thought he'd solved everything -- I don't know where he was. The nice young man who just drove me to tears is in India.

Each time I have to tell the whole bluidy story all over again. And by the time I do it, the line is cured. But I went today from about 10.30 to 3.45 with no connection. And they know there's something wrong with the line.

:banghead

deBeauxOs

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »
Mmmm .... maybe the greige cat knows what the problem is.  That's why he popped in at that window.   :wink:

Return To TAT